Monday, October 1, 2007

Leaving Home 15 August 2007

Hi everyone,
Yes I have finally got around to starting my blog. I will try and keep them up to date as much as possible.
This first one is about leaving Australia and heading off to the great unknown.
The day started very early and a last minute scramble to get everything into my pack. Well that was a no go and had to leave a few things behind. In hindsight I left the right things behind as I haven't really needed any of it. I did however manage to pack the wrong things all together, but more on that later.
My flight from Sydney was delayed by an hour but other than that was pretty smooth sailing (or flying in this case). Sat next to a nice couple from England and we chatted for most of the way. I was informed half way through the flight that I might not make my connection in Hong Kong for Guilin and that the airport staff would meet me on arrival and help me get to my flight. I was ushered to the front of the plane just as we started our descent into HK and was told as soon as we land and are taxiing to wait at the door to run.
Staff from the airport were there to meet me and run we did. First I had to check in and get a seat allocation then I had to sign a form acknowledging that the airport had informed me there was a great chance that my luggage would not be on the flight to Guilin. Well there was nothing to do but sign the form. Then we ran to the gate where my flight was due to board any second now. I made it there in time, only to have that flight delayed by another half hour so could sit and catch my breath. It was really hot and stuffy in the airport and I still had my Canberra winter clothes on and was in desperate need for a drink, but no time for that.
Eventually my flight boarded for the one hour flight and all I could think of was I am hot and smelly and I won't have any luggage for the night. The flight was quick, I slept for most of it and it was filled with Spanish tourists.
After arriving at Guilin I went through the usual customs and immigration checks and then went and waited by the carousel to see if my luggage would come through and YAY there it was, I cannot begin to tell you what a relief that was.
Went through the final luggage inspection and around the corner to the main hall of the airport and there was a man with my name on paper, I smiled and off we went. He quickly pulled out his mobile phone and started talking away in Chinese to someone and then hands me the phone, I was puzzled as to who I needed to talk to. It turned out to be the Owner's wife from Buckland whom I had been dealing with over email before I left. After a quick chat it was into the car (this is about 9.15pm local time) and had a one to one and a half hour road trip ahead of me.
It was very dark and I couldn't see anything so promptly went to sleep and awoke just before we pulled up to my new home for the next week or two in Yangshuo.
Stayed tuned for my Yangshuo adventures.
Love Gabby

No comments: